Tuesday 13 May 2008

Hazy shades of cramming

Made it through mid semester assessment, vaguely alive. As usual muttering profanities at the idiotic previous self that chilled out and procrastinated, leaving things till there was no later left. 

Afterwards, I got to think about why it is that cramming works. What is it about that last minute desperation, that makes learning so much easier, more efficient and effortless compared to when you've actually got time to 'learn properly'? Honest to whatever greater being there is out there, I did try to study weekly. Economics for example, at least an hour or two was spent trying to read that textbook and giving up because it was just a collection of gibberish sentences and what looked to me like random lines all over the place, wont even get started on the equations that didn't equate to anything visible. So yes, gave up and went ahead with all the kazillion more interesting things there are to do. 

5 weeks later, roughly 6 hours before the exam, rummaged through a few boxes, dug out the book, blew away the dust, sneezed for about half a hour, etc etc usual process, and opened it fully expecting a headache. Had even carefully positioned Panadols, M&Ms and glasses of water. 2 hours later, I'm positively gliding through pages upon pages of this stuff, all of which makes perfect sense and is actually interesting!! 

How does that happen?? I timed the grief inducing chapter so lovingly mentioned earlier  - took 20 minutes[!!#$%!] to read through and everything just fell into place. Kinda like the parting of the sea, suddenly vast areas of dry land where there used to be enough water to drown in. I've heard of people mentioning being 'in the zone' which might explain it, but not entirely sure what that is exactly. 

So, with a month to go for finals, I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that exams are tomorrow. For some reason myself is laughing back at me. Sigh. Winter exams suck. What little motivation survives the procrastination gets frostbite and goes on strike. A little hypnosis would be useful right about now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to find that the adrenaline rush and mad panic that procrastination yields really helped me keep total focus on what I was reading/studying. Unfortunately this theory was validated time and time again because even when it comes to projects at work the same applies! Some of my best writing has happened under intensely procrastinated circumstances.

Don't hold your breath getting out of the loop ;)

Lady divine said...

hmm.. I think last minute cramming is what we all do.... and what somehow gets us through at the end of the day..:)

I think it's the panic and fear... and the rush makes is remember everything.. But i realised that last minute studying doesn't last long in your head..:D.. well not in mine anyway..and that's all I do... hehee

Scrumps said...

The last minute cramming worked all the way until I finished uni! If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! :)

T said...

hehe what scrump said!

Gutterflower said...

Cramming always works for me. At least, it worked for my OL's and keeping my fingers crossed for the next exam.

I guess its a mixture of fear, panic and adrenaline which does trick.

Sachini said...

for me it depends on what I'm studying for. cramming works when you have to cram (pun unintended) a few 100 cases for each paper but there are other stuff that has to be read and absorbed beforehand.

btw you've been tagged by me :) check my blog

Sunshine Junkie said...

Thanks guys :D comforting to know I'm not the only one still cramming cos it feels like I'm in a tiny minority from among my friends :D

Scrump, T - Good point, but kinda worried its going to stop working :D there has to be motivation to survive on 3 hrs sleep n keep going no..

Sach - hmm.. that makes sense... different subjects needing diff approaches. Thanks! :D