Friday 23 May 2008

21st century kid

Woke up this morning after what must've been a traumatic night, cos all the hair on the left side of my head was sticking out horizontally. Fifteen minutes of talking to it soothingly, patting, twirling and dabbing with water proved futile so off to a strong burst of hot water it went. Another fifteen minutes later most of the it was in the biologically allocated position, a few strays popped up again later. Honestly! 

Noteworthy though, is that I first saw this situation in the reflection of the laptop screen as it was coming out of hibernation, and first instinct was to google the problem. Not reaction, instinct. Before the brain  had even begun to start processing the thought of waking up, before the blinds were opened, before feet touched the floor, the laptop was already switched on, mail had already been checked and cursor was blinking expectantly in the little google search bar.  

Ten seconds later a bleary brain still in a semi-comatose state pinged. A little half feeling that something is odd. Which is when it dawned that perhaps I have a problem. In a need to go for meetings and say my name before admitting it kind of way. This isn't normal, surely? To be so totally addicted to a computer, cute though it is, and the internet to the extent that you have to have it on all the time? And you do so in a sub-conscious state? 

So of course, I googled it :D There are tests for Internet addiction, support groups [online. haha], and blogs on the subject. A separate sub-category for those addicted to google ["The Coke of the web. Sweet, available everywhere and the first choice of the consumer"]. Basically there are addicts to everything, including job searches, rss feeds and of course blogging. Most of those are a bit over the top of course, at least some of those are tongue in cheek. Hopefully. 

What I find disturbing is the restlessness that turns up if the comp isn't on, or *GASP* the internet isn't working. Every time I've gone camping and there hasn't been phone reception for a few days, its been such a release to not be able to use it. Its partly the techie in me that tends to get overly caught up in the newest toys and programs, partly trying to keep the important long distance friendships going but this is a little insane. 

So, have decided that one extreme calls for a temporary swing to the other extreme. Which might entail switching off wireless for most of the day *gulp* and setting a timer :|. Good cause. Have to study too, shyte. So yes, looking forward to a few days of living in reality and going for walks, perhaps finding myself a cozy spot in a comfy tree and hanging out? :D Although haven't tried that in the winter before... Hmmm...

5 comments:

T said...

oh i feel you!! my laptop and i are attached at the hip. im not even attached to my phone as much as i am to my laptop.

the morning routine for me is much the same: stumble bleary eyed to the computer, switch it on and then sit in a comatose state til it starts up. once all tabs on the homepage are checked (gmail, bbc and kottu), the day begins. the roommate has much the same routine so most days we do it in tandem, on opposite sides of the room, no words exchanged.

in a desperate attempt to pass my exams i even deactivated my facebook account, and much to my surprise i found that i didnt miss it at all. so the things you dont need, try phasing em out.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh now I understand where this going off-line, no contact to the rest of the world idea came about...

sigh!!... tap tap tap...

hayoo T don't encourage her.. Pink is usually lost in her own little world anyway.... when she's off-line NO ONE will be able to track her down..

:) heh heh - going to go hide now.. before things are thrown at me...

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!! First thing I do when I wake up is reach for the laptop to check mail, news, etc...of course I check everything about 400 times through the day as well!:) Let me know when u start a net addicts club...I want a card;)

Lady divine said...

I perfectly understand how u feel... i guess most of us are overly dependent on the world wide web.. and ofcourse cell phones... there's no life without those two...
and if u go a day or 2 without them, once u come back, it can be a nightmare sometimes...

such is life.... i guess...

Sunshine Junkie said...

T - lol.. thats a funny image, two ppl in bleary synch :D yeaa I think i will try it actually! Fb is so useful though.

BB - kindly keep your wannabe smart ass comments to yourself :P

N - hehe.. sure thing! you might even get a committee position, funky hat and all, if you ask nicely ;)

LD - i think its often not has bad as we think, avoiding it for a few days :) good for the soul.